A Coding Dojo is a meeting where a bunch of coders get together to work on a programming challenge. They are there to have fun and to engage in Deliberate Practice in order to improve their skills.
The goal is to:
- Improve your knowledge in a language/framework
- Pick up a new programming language/framework
- Inculcate developer practices (TDD, BDD, pair-programming)
At the Coding Dojo, pairs of coders will be given a small coding puzzle they have to attempt together. This is called a Code Kata.
It is through practise, writing small changes, writing tests before writing code and collaboration, that we hope to share the knowledge of how modern software is now being built in the industry and at GovTech.
Who Should Attend
Tech and non-tech people who might be interested in finding out how developers use TDD & Pair-Programming to deliver working code.
Instructions for Attendees
- Bring along a laptop.
- Install your favourite text editor (we recommend VisualStudio Code - its free).
- Install your preferred programming environments and runtimes.
- Download this repo: https://github.com/JuniorDevSingapore/coding_dojo
- Read up about Pair-Programming: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lfuyKH3QiWYtzvA2-FN1w-NL3-SrVHah6AExNQuqcyQ/edit?usp=sharing
- Watch this video on the how we should write tests: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSWYvyc42M